Do you love summer as much as I do? I try to haaaaannng on to every last drop of it. It’s hard and exciting to move on to school starting once again and the uncertainties that go along with it. What will this year be like? I hope that the sports will be able to continue and that everyone has a great year ahead! At least we now know what change we might anticipate this year, and hopefully we can someday be back to “normal” or close to it.
Going back to summer now…one of my favorite things about summer is grilling. I love to utilize the grill as much as possible. The food tastes delicious, it’s beautiful outside, and it’s a quick and simple way for cooking! Shish k-bobs are healthy, wonderful, and a fantastic option for cooking a meal. First, I marinate the steak and cut into small pieces using this original recipe from my grandmother. I use it for all steak! Then, in a separate bowl, I cut up all veggies I desire and mix with about 3 T. olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Next, heat the grill to about medium temp 350-400 degrees. I throw the steak on in this handy grilling basket for about 10 minutes (5 minutes per side). Lastly, I add the vegetables and cook an additional 15 minutes. This is great to use with all of those ripe garden veggies this time of year – serve over wild rice and – enjoy!
- 3 T. olive oil extra virgin
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes
- 1 c. sliced onion
- 1 c. green pepper, sliced
- 1 c. yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 c. red pepper, sliced
- 2 lbs ribeye steak or desired cut
- 3 c. wild rice, cooked
- In a shallow container, marinate steak as desired. Trim steak into 2 inch pieces.
- Using a large bowl, add in cut vegetables, and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Heat grill to 350-400 degrees. When grill is heated, then place steak on grilling tray. Grill for approx 5-10 minutes, turning halfway in between. Once steak is cooked, add in vegetables for appoximately 15 more minutes, until cooked and tender.
- Remove from heat, and serve with wild rice.