Thanksgiving is such a wonderful holiday. We have had bountiful blessings this last year, and we have much to be thankful for. It is a time to be reminded of thankfulness and gratitude. It is a gathering with friends and family around the table as we enjoy the taste of home. We celebrate the traditions and heritage of our family and country.
This Sweet Potato Pie is one of my all time favorites! This comes from my Granny, who was born and raised in the south. We had this every Thanksgiving at her home, along with Russell Stover chocolate covered marshmallows at each table setting (hmm…why do I remember that?). And now this is a staple for my Thanksgiving menu – it is a tasty and sweet side along with that fresh out-of-the oven turkey. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
- 3-4 sweet potatoes; cooked
- 1 egg
- ½ c. milk
- ½ c. sugar
- 1½ t. vanilla
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ⅓ stick butter, softened
- ½ c. chopped pecans
- 1½ c. mini marshmallows (if desired)
- Prick potatoes with a fork. Microwave potatoes until soft - about 10 minutes (or bake in oven).
- When potatoes have cooked, let them cool. Once cooled, cut potatoes in half and scoop out potato "meat." Put potatoes in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Then add egg, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Blend again.
- Spread mixture into shallow greased baking dish.
- Stir together topping ingredients and spread on top of sweet potatoes.
- Add marshmallows the last few minutes.