Lemon Meringue Pie… so refreshing and scrumptious and summery.
And I’ve got good news for you today- there is a short-cut that I use to make this the easiest pie you’ve ever made. Truly, the EASIEST! Enter… the lemon bar mix!
That’s right. When I’m short on time but need a fabulous pie recipe, I just whip up a lemon bar mix in a pie plate. (Betty Crocker, Krusteaz, and the Aldi mix all work so well.) After baking, I add a meringue to the top, and you’ve got this deletable dessert that’s perfect for a summer get-together or just for your family after a long day spent in the sun.
Have you ever made meringue? It’s really so easy! And all you need are three ingredients: egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar. Of course a small kitchen helper makes things more fun.
Tell me. Do you have any “fake-it, don’t make it” type recipes? Our readers seem to love them. Our recipe for Quick and Easy Fruit Pizza (which also starts with a mix) is one of our most popular posts.
I also love these Fake-It, Don’t Make It Chocolate Croissants. It’s wonderful to be able to make something special for your family in just a few minutes.
Anyway, back to the lemon meringue pie! I hope you try it soon. It really is (wait for it…) easy as pie! Ha!
- For the pie:
- 1 Lemon Bar Mix
- 3 whole eggs
- ⅓ C water
- For the Meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ t cream of tartar
- ¼ C sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease 9-inch pie plate.
- For the pie: Follow package directions to make the lemon bars.
- For meringue: Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add sugar, 1 T at a time, beating on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form. (See above picture).
- Spread meringue over baked lemon pie.
- Return to oven and back an additional 10-15 minutes or until meringue is alight golden brown.
- Serve pie warm or chilled- your choice!