I hope you are having as great of a summer as we are. My five kids and I have been spending lots of time outside enjoying birds and flowers, taking long walks and bike rides, and visiting an outdoor museum nearby that we love (Living History Farms). And then of course there is swimming, reading good books during long afternoon rest times, and playing four-square in cooler evenings.
All of this time spent having great summer fun leaves little time for cooking, but that’s ok. I think that’s just how the summer months should be.
A few nights ago we made this: Easy Asian Noodles with Steak and Peppers. It fit the bill for a perfect summer dish- quick, easy, and delicious. While the steak and peppers grilled, I quickly boiled some spaghetti, and my daughters whisked together the sauce. The end result was colorful, hearty (for all of the growing, constantly starving kids), and bursting with Asian flavors. Yum!
- 2 pounds beef steak (New York Strip, Sirloin, T-Bone, or Rib Eye)
- 1 bell pepper (any color, cut in half with seeds removed)
- 12 ounces spaghetti noodles
- For the sauce:
- ½ C soy sauce
- 1½ T sugar
- 2 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 2 T vinegar (white or apple cider vinegar)
- ½ t hot chili oil (can substitute ½ t red pepper flakes)
- 3 T vegetable oil
- For the steak and peppers:
- Grill the steak on medium until it reaches preferred color.
- When steak is about half cooked, add the pepper to the grill.
- Removed from grill, let rest about five minutes, and slice into thin strips.
- For the noodles:
- Prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- For the sauce:
- Whisk all sauce ingredients together until combined. Pour over cooked spaghetti.
- Place spaghetti on plate and place stead and peppers on top.
Psalm 34:8 Oh Taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!