Beef ‘N Noodles over Mashed Potatoes. It’s hearty, easy, comforting and very filling.
Mr. Farmer is spending most of his time behind the wheel of a big ol’ combine. He has eaten many sack lunches in the past month, so wanted to change things up a bit before the rain and have him come home to some good home cookin’. 🙂
I started with a package of beef stew meat, home grown. Simmered for several hours in water to build a rich broth. Added a little bouillon for depth and created from there. Decided to thicken and place the stew over mashed potatoes……with butter.
Why is it I never have leftovers after this meal? Hummmm…
When the stew meat is taken out of the freezer, I normally make it into beef stew. Not this time. I was hungry for beef and noodles. Made it a little more colorful and nutritious by adding a little celery and carrots. Hope you’ll enjoy it, too.
- 1 1½ lb. package of beef stew
- 2 quarts water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into pennies
- a small celery stick, cut into small pieces
- 1 t instant beef boullion
- ¼ C sour cream
- 2 T corn starch
- 1 T water
- 6 potatoes, cooked and mashed.
- In a large dutch oven, place meat, water, salt and pepper over medium heat until boiling. Turn down to a simmer for 3-4 hours. Add more water to keep 2 quarts all the time.
- Bring back to boil; add noodles and vegetable and cook over medium heat for approximately 15 min. Turn down to a simmer; add sour cream. Mix corn starch and water together and stir into broth. Do not bring it to a boil. This will give it a little thickening.
- Serve over mashed potatoes
- Add a fresh green salad and you have a fantastic supper!