Here is another tried and true recipe from our family. This is a slow- cooker and only takes about 15 min. total for preparation. This is a man pleasing meal, and best of all is the gravy,
Serve this with rolls or bread and your meal is done! No one will walk away hungry with this dish.
I use round steak or minute steak typically – approximately 1 1/2 lbs. cut into one inch strips.
Then use about 1/2 cup of flour – add salt and pepper to taste.
Take steak and dredge in flour – shake off excess then cook over high heat in approx. 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil or canola oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes – or until brown. Do this with both sides.
Drain excess grease.
Cut and peel (if you wish) potatoes, then halve or quarter – depending on size. Slice half and onion. Then peel carrots, and cut into 3 inch pieces. Add these to the pot, and approx. 1 cup of water. Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours.
Then add carrots, green peppers, and cream of mushroom soup about halfway into cooking – add water as needed.
- 2-T olive or canola oil
- 1½ minute steak or round steak (cut into inch strips)
- ½ flour
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- ½ onion, sliced
- ½ green pepper, sliced
- 1 - 1½ c. water
- 3 - 4 potatoes, peeled and halved
- 3 - 4 carrots, peeled and halved
- ½ head cabbage cut in wedges (optional)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- Heat large skillet with ¼ cup of oil to medium high.
- Dredge steak in flour, then brown on both sides.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add onion, green pepper, and water.
- Bake 1 - 1½ hour at 300 degrees - covered.
- Then add potatoes, carrots, cabbage, cream of mushroom soup, and more water (if needed).
- Return to oven for 1 - 2 hours more.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool about 5 - 10 minutes before serving.