***This was one of the very first blog posts from three years ago. I’m reposting it again today because it is still just as delicious and fun for Christmas! Your friends and family will love it! P.S. My kids were SO LITTLE back then. ***
I’m bringing an appetizer to a neighborhood Christmas party tonight. Since today is full of grocery shopping, school lessons, laundry, and Christmas card addressing, I need something quick.
Out of my recipe box, I pulled Pinecone Cheese Spread Appetizer, a festive, yet simple recipe we’ve loved for years.
I tossed the ingredients into the food processor,
used plastic wrap to shape it into a pine cone shape,
and then recruited some kids to stick the almonds in the sides (while I loaded the dishwasher).
(Safety goggles not required for the making of this recipe. Child had previously been playing “scientists” with brother)
Viola! A yummy holiday appetizer ready for tonight.
- 1 8 ounce package Cream Cheese (I substitute Neufchatel Cheese to save calories)
- 2 C shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 3 T jalapeno peppers (or more to add spiciness)
- ⅓ C sliced almonds
- Pretzel crisps or crackers to serve
- Place cream cheese, cheese, mustard, and peppers in food processor and process until well blended.
- Place on a piece of plastic wrap.
- Shape into a 4 inch tall oval that has a "pinecone" shape.
- Insert almonds in rows to completely cover cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve as a spread with crackers or pretzel crisps.