I’m bringing an appetizer to a neighborhood Christmas party tonight. Since today is full of grocery shopping, school lessons, laundry, and Christmas card addressing, I need something quick.
Out of my recipe box, I pulled Pinecone Cheese Spread Appetizer, a festive, yet simple recipe we’ve loved for years.
I tossed the ingredients into the food processor,
used plastic wrap to shape it into a pine cone shape,
and then recruited some kids to stick the almonds in the sides (while I loaded the dishwasher).
(Safety goggles not required for the making of this recipe. Child had previously been playing “scientists” with brother)
Viola! A yummy holiday appetizer ready for tonight.
- 1 8 ounce package Cream Cheese (I substitute Neufchatel Cheese to save calories)
- 2 C shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 3 T jalapeno peppers (or more to add spiciness)
- ⅓ C sliced almonds
- Pretzel crisps or crackers to serve
- Place cream cheese, cheese, mustard, and peppers in food processor and process until well blended.
- Place on a piece of plastic wrap.
- Shape into a 4 inch tall oval that has a "pinecone" shape.
- Insert almonds in rows to completely cover cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve as a spread with crackers or pretzel crisps.