Happy Memorial Day!
Memorial Weekend and cookouts seem to go together like mac and cheese here in this great US of A. It’s nice to have a few make-ahead dishes ready to pull out of the fridge so you can spend time with friends and family and Memorial Day Services. Let’s focus on what’s important!
Here’s a very quick and easy salad you can throw together in a hurry which will go very well with your grilled food today (if you don’t get rained on). This is an old familiar one for many of us…..something my Grandmas used to make. Way back then, I didn’t like this dish so much. Now, I usually have seconds. 🙂 This particular recipe comes from my dear, dear mother-in-law, Maxine. How I miss her! It was a staple on her table during summer holidays.
- 4 Bean Salad
- 1 can green beans, drained
- 1 can yellow beans, drained
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can lima or black-eyed peas
- 1 green pepper sliced in thin rings
- 1 medium onion sliced in thin rings
- ½ C sugar
- ½ C vinegar
- ½ C vegetable oil
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t dry mustard
- ½ t chopped basil (optional)
- ½ t chopped chives (optional)
- 2 T chopped parsley (optional)
- 2 T Italian salad dressing (optional)
- Combine ingredients for dressing in a large bow.
- Add the rest of ingredients and stir well.
- Marinate several hours or overnight before serving.
On this Memorial Day, take time to wave the flag, say “Thank You!!” to a veteran, go to your local Memorial Day service to remember the fallen lives in service for our great nation. Text or call your friend or loved one who has served for us. Teach the kids all about this holiday! Remember………our freedom costs thousands their lives. We live in the greatest nation in the world. Let’s do our part to show patriotism today by honoring our American heroes and their families.
Stock up photo