Is it too late in the season to still be making soup? I really hope I’m not breaking any springtime culinary rules here, but today I made this creamy chicken and wild rice soup, and it was divine… comforting… filling… just right.
The last few days have been cloudy and dreary and a little bit rainy. Today was busy with lots of school and house work and a few errands. I could just tell that the family, me included, could use a soothing kind of supper. I then remembered that I had the meat from a rotisserie chicken in the freezer, shredded and ready to go (WIN!). Creamy chicken and wild rice soup (and of course some easy homemade bucket bread) to the rescue!
We sat around the table and the kids excitedly (as always) shared favorite happenings of the day while filling up on this creamy, yummy soup. I truly treasure these humble, simple meals eaten with my precious family.
- 6 C chicken broth
- 2 C long grain wild rice
- ½ t ground pepper
- 1 t poultry seasoning (or more, to taste)
- ½ C butter
- 1 C celery, diced
- 1 C onions, diced (I use 2 T onion powder)
- ½ C flour
- 1 C carrots, diced
- 3 C milk, cream, or half and half (I use skim milk)
- 2 C cooked chicken, cubed (I use a rotisserie chicken)
- In a large pot over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Add the wild rice, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Add carrots, celery, and onion (or onion powder). Saute for 10 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and ground pepper gradually, stirring constantly to create a roux. Saute for 3-4 more minutes.
- Whisk in cream gradually and cook until thickened, about five minutes.
- Stir roux into broth and rice mixture. Add the chicken and the poultry seasoning. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
And… Now onto our current giveaway! We have teamed up with other great food bloggers to give one of our lucky readers this Amazon gift card for $300. (What? $300!)
A few rules: You need to be 18 to win and a resident of US, Canada, or UK. The giveaway will launch on Monday, April 18th and go until Thursday, April 28th. You have ten days to enter, and there are multiple ways of entering. Click on the link below enter. If you are already following us on any of our social media channels, those are ‘free’ entries. Share this post with your friends and have them subscribe so they have a chance to win too!