Ok…so you are only reading this because the “cherry coke” part of the title has you intrigued, right? You really aren’t a fan of another jello salad. Your grandma made enough of those while you were growing up and you were forced to choke down some strange concotion of jello and a fruit or vegetable mixed in. 😉 I’m here to ease your fear and to give jello salad a new reputation. Read on friends, read on. Lol. (By the way, are you allowed to use “lol” outside of social media or texts? I may be breaking some sort of blog rules here. Ha.)
Cherry Coke Jello Salad is a favorite holiday dish in my family. We’ve had it at our holiday table for years. I’m not really sure if one of my sisters or Mom was the first one to make this salad, but all I know is that since I was a teenager it’s been a staple. Serve along side your turkey or ham this season. This salad is a unique dish that is equally tart, sweet and delicious. All three of my children will eat this salad. Now that’s a small victory. Ok, actually that’s a huge victory…wonder if I could serve it every meal? 🙂
- 1 can red tart cherries with juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 (3 oz) pkgs regular cherry jello (not sugar free)
- 1 small (17oz) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup Coca Cola soda
- Bring cherries with juice, water and sugar and jello to a boil. Stir to dissolve.
- Add small can of crushed pineapple and stir to mix evenly.
- Bring to room temperature then add 1 can of coca cola soda, mixing well.
- Refrigerate and stir occasionally until set so that cherries do not settle on top.
- If desired, serve with a dollop of whipped cream