As I write this, I’ve got the window open. I can hear birds singing, I see green grass poking through, and I feel a gentle and warm breeze. All of this indicates that SPRING IS HERE!
This delightful weather leaves me in the mood to eat light and fresh. These caprese skewers, with the bright flavors of fresh mozzarella and basil, are just the ticket.
Drizzled with a balsamic reductions glaze (don’t let that scare you-it’s so easy!), these skewers are absolutely bursting with flavor!
So, grab a kid or two and have fun assembling these. Then enjoy all the simple, fresh flavors as you celebrate that spring has returned.
- 1 carton grape or cherry tomatoes
- fresh mozzarella cheese, in mini-ball form
- fresh basil leaves, cut in half if large
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Over high heat, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil in a saucepan. Lower heat to medium and simmer for about ten minutes, or until it has slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- On each toothpick, place one tomato, one basil leaf, and one mozzarella ball.
- Using a spoon, drizzle cooled balsamic reduction on top.
UPDATE: These Caprese Skewers were one of our top ten most popular recipes of 2015. What were the other nine? Check them out in our free ebook here.