BLTs are one of our all-time favorites! I could probably eat them just about every day with a fresh tomato (I think it makes all the difference). They are so refreshing, and definitely reminiscent of summer here in Iowa.
Well, our fresh tomatoes are not here yet…my plant is only a wee bit tall right now (approximately one foot). Come August, I am anticipating big red juicy tomatoes, and of course, BLTs! Sometimes we add a fried egg for a little extra oompff on that sandwich. If you haven’t yet tried with an egg, I highly recommend it (wink wink).
So, I do love the BLT sandwich, but have you tried it as a salad? This is kinda fun for a salad variation. It’s pretty simple, and we gobble it up. The bacon is a major component to this recipe. Sometimes we microwave if in a hurry – it takes about my 5 minutes. My preference is baking it for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees – make sure it is a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil – to avoid oven spills. The dressing for this is also simple, but so good – well worth it for a homemade dressing.
Have you ever made homemade croutons before? They are quite basic. All you need is a baguette and 2 T. olive oil. Cut the baguette into 1-inch cubes. Then place on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and toss with clean hands to coat evenly. Bake for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 20 large croutons - store bought or homemade
- 1 head of lettuce - like spinach or romaine, chopped
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- For the dressing:
- ½ c. sour cream
- 2 T. lemon juice
- ½ t. salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- To make dressing: whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, salt, and garlic. Blend until smooth.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and croutons. Drizzle with the dressing, toss to mix, and serve.