What do you do when you grill out and make waaaaay too much chicken? Chop it up and make BBQ chicken sandwiches the next day. Well, what do you do when your dinner plans change last minute and you don’t eat the BBQ Chicken you made from leftover grilled chicken? Then the next day you throw that BBQ chicken into this delicious BBQ Chicken and Quinoa Casserole! 🙂
You can make this dish with fresh chicken you just cooked or my favorite is to use leftover and whip up this casserole in a jiffy. Not only does it come together quick, but you can make this casserole in one dish. Yippee, minimal clean up. 🙂
Oh, and did I mention it’s healthy? The quinoa is loaded with protein and essential amino acids, add in the fiber from the beans and corn along with the chicken protein and you have one delicious and healthy meal ready in minutes!
- 3 Cups Cooked Quinoa (made from 1 cup uncooked quinoa with 2 cups water)
- 2 Cups Cooked and Shredded Chicken
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese or Colby Jack, divided
- 1 (15 oz can) Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Cup of Whole Kernel Corn (if using canned, be sure to drain)
- 1½ Cups of Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, chopped red onion, sour cream, diced avocado, etc
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large baking dish mix together quinoa, chicken, beans, corn, 1.5 cups cheese and bbq until combined.
- Sprinkle top with other ½ cup of cheese evenly on top
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole heated through.
- Remove from oven and if desired, drizzle with additional BBQ sauce and add optional toppings.