Looking for something fun and easy to make for the Super Bowl Party? Everyone loves Baked Potato Bar night at our house. My husband loves the bacon. I love the simplicity of it, and my daughter loves the variety of toppings. This is fun for everyone, and would be great for a crowd, too.
One of the perks of Baked Potato Bar is : it’s simplicity. Have a bag of potatoes on hand? Then this meal is for you – a filling meal for many, and fun for a cozy winter’s night. Not to mention, it makes for a really affordable meal, too!
Idaho or Russet potatoes – scrubbed clean and towel dried.
Use a heaping pile of your favorite shredded cheese. Mine is Colby Jack. Use this for making the homemade cheese sauce. Then add more for extra cheesy-ness! Why not, right?
Add green onions – if you desire.
Whip up the Homemade cheese sauce: butter, flour, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper. By the way, I use this all the time for any type of cheese sauce or often times as a substitute for a condensed soup version.
Add all of your favorite toppings and load up that potato: bacon (ham pieces would be good too), sour cream, green onion, cheese sauce, shredded cheese, broccoli – and enjoy!
- 6 whole potatoes - scrubbed and cleaned
- 4 bunches of broccoli - steamed
- 1 c. sour cream
- 8 slices of bacon - cooked & crumbled
- 4 green onions - sliced
- 1 c. shredded cheese (such as Colby jack)
- 2 T. butter
- Homemade cheese sauce
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1½ c. shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place cleaned and pricked potatoes in aluminum foil. Add a teaspoon of butter on each and wrap with foil. Place in the oven and bake at 350 for 1 hour - or until soft.
- While potatoes are baking, prepare broccoli and bacon.
- Then make Homemade Cheese sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour then whisk for one minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk then season with salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook until thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, then add cheese and stir until melted and smooth.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Serve immediately on top over potatoes. Add your favorite fixin's!