One thing that I love about my Simple Italian Meatball recipe is that it makes a huge batch. We usually eat half right away, and I stick the other half in the freezer.
Today I pulled out those meatballs, piled them on hoagie buns, and topped them with mozzarella cheese and some Simple Marinara Sauce that I had leftover in the fridge. I let the kids choose the toppings of pepperonis and/or pepperoncinis.
We stuck them in the oven for a few minutes and out came these scrumptious, toasty, melty sandwiches.
We all loved them!
- 8 hoagie buns
- 15-20 meatballs
- 2 C marinara sauce
- 2 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 12 pepperonis
- 12 pepperoncinis
- (dried parsley to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line hoagie buns up on cookie sheet.
- Place 3 or 4 meatballs on each bun.
- Top with marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperonis, pepperoncinis.
- Toast in oven for about 8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If desired, toast on broil setting for about 2 minutes for an extra toasty sandwich.
- Serve with extra marinara for dipping.
You could of course use your favorite frozen meatballs and canned marinara sauce from the grocery store.