Am I the only one who missed out on Girl Scout Cookies this year? What a bummer! I was forced to make thin mints on my own, and they are actually a pretty close version. What is it about chocolate and mint? It does it for me every time!
These are especially fun this time of year with St. Patrick’s Day just a few days away! Enjoy them for yourself or give to a friend!
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ t. salt
- 1½ c. all purpose flour
- 16 oz. semi sweet baking chocolate (if you don't have this, you can substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips like I did)
- 1½ t. peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter until light and fluffy, then add powdered sugar and mix until combined. Stir in the salt, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Mix until the cocoa powder is integrated and the batter resembles a thick frosting. Add the flour and mix just until the flour is combined, making sure to not over mix.
- Form dough into a ball. Knead a few times to bring together, then flatten into a disk between half an inch and one inch thick, cover in plastic wrap then place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Removed dough from the freezer, and roll it out really thin on a floured surface, about ⅛ inch. Cut cookies using 1½ inch cutter (like a small cordial glass).
- Place cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack. While the cookies bake, make the peppermint frosting. Chop the baking chocolates into very small, thin pieces. Place in a glass measuring cup or similar container and microwave in short 15-20 second bursts. Stir in the peppermint extract. Feel free to add more peppermint as you see fit.
- Gently drop the cookies, one at a time, into the frosting using a fork OR if you used chocolate chips, then just frost the tops because the chocolate will be too heavy to coat the entire cookie. Place on a parchment or plastic-wrap lined baking sheet, and repeat for the rest of the cookies.
Don’t forget your Frozen cup while baking! It makes such a difference 😉
While cookies are baking, melt chocolate for a couple minutes at 30 second increments.
If you are in extreme anticipation for the cookies, go ahead and put together your lego airplane and zoom around the house for a few minutes – it makes the time go by so much faster!