EASY Sweet and Sour Chicken! What? Is it possible to make delicious, budget friendly, Chinese food at home? You bet!
Ever have a hankering for Chinese food but you live too far away from a great Chinese restaurant? Or perhaps eating out isn’t in the budget right now, but you would LOVE some great sweet and sour chicken? Then this recipe is for you!
I’ve been making this easy sweet and sour chicken for years and it’s absolutely wonderful. The sauce has a really authentic, delicious Chinese restaurant taste, and the best part is that it is made from ingredients we usually have in the fridge- ketchup (yup, I said ketchup!), vinegar, and soy sauce. My kids regularly ask for this dish.
Another plus is that just a little oil is used, and mostly this is made in the oven, which makes it a lot healthier than the usual deep fried sweet and sour chicken.
We eat this over brown rice or with these Easy Asian Noodles. It’s great either way! Enjoy!
- 6-8 Skinless, Boneless chicken breast halves (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- ½ t garlic salt or powder
- ¼ C Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 C Flour
- ¾ C Sugar
- ½ C Pineapple Juice (reserve from the pineapple chunks when draining)
- 1 20 oz. can Pineapple Chunks (drained, but reserve ½ C of the juice!)
- ¼ C White Vinegar
- ¾ C Ketchup
- 1½ t salt
- 1 T Soy Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with garlic salt.
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, add vegetable oil and allow to warm for about 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat 2 eggs. Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dip pieces of chicken in the egg, and allow excess to drain. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour coating thoroughly. Drop pieces into the hot oil and cook until deep golden brown. Turn as necessary to cook evenly on all sides. (I don't cook all the way through. This is just to get a nice brown on the meat, but chicken will finish cooking in the oven.)
- While chicken is browning, combine the following in a saucepan over medium heat: sugar, pineapple juice, white vinegar, ketchup, salt and soy sauce. Stir mixture occasionally until it comes to a low boil and then reduce heat just enough to keep the sauce warm.
- Place cooked chicken pieces and pineapple chunks in a 9×13 pan. Pour warm sweet and sour sauce over the top.
- Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes, and serve over rice or Asian noodles.