A friend introduced me to these delicious stuffed mushrooms a few years ago – I had no idea how good they would be – and how simple they are to make! And, I was a bit surprised, as I have never been a mushroom fan…ever. Taste buds often diversify with age, and now I can’t go without my stuffed mushrooms when I plan-ahead appetizers. Surely, these mushrooms have officially made my initiation into adulthood! Ha! I made these for both Christmas, and New Year’s this year.
To make these scrumptious little appetizers, simply pop off the mushrooms stems, and rinse thoroughly with water. Let dry. Then saute 1-2 T of olive oil and 1 clove of minced garlic on low-medium heat for about 1 minute, then add in mushrooms, and cook for about 5 minutes. Set the mushrooms aside. Using a spoon, fill the mushrooms with about 2 t. of room temperature cream cheese (depending on size of mushroom). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and slip into the oven for about 30 minutes.
Variation: sometimes I saute kale or spinach with the garlic. I use about 1/2 c. of fresh spinach or kale. I saute for approx. 5 min – or until deep green. Remove greens from pan. Then cook mushrooms. Add greens into the cream cheese mixture and dollop on mushrooms.
- 1 pkg baby bella mushrooms - destemmed, rinsed, and dry
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ c. parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c. spinach or kale (optional)
- Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Saute garlic and oil for one minute until garlic just turns brown. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Let mushrooms cool.
- Then using a spoon, fill mushrooms with 2t. cream cheese, and place in baking dish. Then sprinkle parmesan over top of mushrooms.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes or until tops are just brown.