Lately when I open up a new carton of California Giant Strawberries, I’ve noticed a recipe for strawberry and jalapeno salsa that is included on the inside of the cover. Every time, I think, “I need to try that!” and finally I did. And it was SO delicious! My family loved it. Think FRESH, FRESH, FRESH! And spicy and sweet! And just right for summer.
The recipe starts out with some of my favorite ingredients… strawberries, jalapenos, and cilantro. The original recipe called for lemon juice, but I substituted lime juice because I love lime and cilantro together. I’m sure lemon juice would be great too.
This was ready in under five minutes. I whipped it up while the kids helped me grill these pork chops, and a summer meal was ready in no time. Just the ticket!
We ate these with regular tortilla chips from the store, but I’m sure Shelby’s recipe for homemade chips would be even better. I also might add a little sugar to this recipe and serve it with cinnamon and sugar chips that Molly makes with fruit salsa. What do you think? Sound yummy? Maybe next time!
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- ¼ C onion, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 T cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 T orange juice
- 1 ½ t lemon juice (or lime juice)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil (do not substitute)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients together and serve with chips.
- ***For a sweeter variation, add 1 teaspoon sugar to the salsa and serve with cinnamon and sugar chips.