Although the men have wrapped up harvest, it’s still a very busy time. They park the combines and move right into dirt work, field work, cattle and desk work. No rest for the weary I guess. 😉 My husbands schedule adds a little bit more flexibility now, as he may just drop in to grab a quick bite before continuing on. This always puts me into quick meal prep mode. 1.) what food do I have on hand that I can make a warm meal out of? 2.) what can be made quickly?
This Sour Cream Hamburger and Noodle Bake won out the other day. I could quickly put it together and it is a warm and comforting dish. Perfect for the guy who has been eating lunch meat sandwiches for the last two months!
- 1.5 pounds of ground hamburger
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 8 oz egg noodles
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1¼ cups small curd cottage cheese
- ¼ to ½ cup sliced green onions (to your taste)
- 1.5 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Ground pepper to taste
- dash of red pepper flakes (optional for extra spice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown the hamburger in a large skillet and drain off grease. Stir in spaghetti sauce and simmer.
- Cook egg noodles according to package, drain and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese. Add optional ground pepper and red pepper flakes if desired. Add in noodles and green onions and mix well.
- Add ½ of egg noodles in a layer to a 9x13" baking dish and top with half meat mixture and then sprinkle ½ of cheddar cheese. Repeat the layer with noodles, beef mixture and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, apprx 20 minutes.