The Gingham Apron girls’ ears always perk up when they hear that the farmers are working close by. Snickerdoodles seem to be a favorite among the workers, so…..I jump up, turn on the oven and file through the recipes. Here it is:
- 1 c soft shortening (part butter)
- 1½ c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2¾ c all-purpose flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 2 t. cream of tartar
- ¼ t. salt
- Mixture for rolling:
- 3 T. sugar
- 3 T. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix thoroughly in mixer the shortening, sugar and 2 eggs.
- Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Pour into wet mixture.
- Mix together in a small deep mixing bowl the 3 T sugar and 3 T cinnamon.
- Make dough into balls the size of a black walnut. Shake in cinn/sugar mixture and place on cookie sheet 2' apart.
When the dough mixes away from the bowl and sticks to the beater, you know you have enough flour. 🙂
Shaking 4 at a time works well and saves time.
When transferring hot cookies to paper, they are very fragile, so handle with care. (Notice the broken one below spatula. They are still delicious when broken.) 🙂