For years I bought spaghetti sauce at the store but didn’t love the taste. My family and I would try a lot of different kinds but each one was too sweet, too seasoned, or too bland. I wanted a sauce that was fresh tasting and full of the flavors that we wanted. One day I decided to try my own. I kept things really simple and we loved it!
This is very versatile because I can add the herbs that we want. Since my kids don’t love most herbs, I usually don’t add any. Today, since I had some parsley on hand, I added a little at the end for color. I now use this in spaghetti and lasagna, and on pizza.
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T minced garlic
- 2 T mined onion
- 1 24 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- (optional dried or fresh herbs- basil, oregano, parsley)
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil on medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Add garlic and onion and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes. and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
This is the sauce that I use on Meatball Sub Sandwiches
and for the dipping sauce for Shelby’s Homemade Cheesy Breadsticks