For many years, I have been fearful of making chocolate mousse because it seems like it would be overly complicated to make, and I would probably eat all of the mousse in one setting. The truth is: that is not entirely the case.
Chocolate Mousse is actually very simple to make – only 4 ingredients are needed – and it takes approximately 15 minutes to prepare (of course there is refrigeration time, too, but that’s the easy part). Just let cool in the fridge or freezer for a couple hours and your decadent dessert is ready!
This dessert is a delicious and refreshing treat for hot day. I garnished with a bit of whipped cream and sprinkles on top, as my mousse did not entirely “set up.” I’m guessing I did not cook as long I should have over the stove. Lesson learned. Make sure to cook for 5 minutes, whisking constantly (but not boiling), once the cream and egg mixture have combined. It still was quite edible and presentable for guests.
If yours turns out nice and firm, you can step up the presentation by piping into a pretty dish, or serve it as a layered dessert – in between cake layers or as a trifle with whipped cream and a crumbled cookie in between. Ohhhh, the possibilities!
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- 2½ c. heavy whipping cream, divided
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Beat eggs and granulated sugar with a mixer for about 3 minutes.
- Heat 1 c. heavy whipping cream in a saucepan until hot, not boiling. With mixer on low speed, pour hot cream into egg and sugar mixture.
- Then add the egg / cream mixture back to the saucepan. Cook over low heat. Stir for 5 minutes constantly until thickened. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, until chilled, stirring occasionally.
- When the mixture is completely chilled, using the whisk attachment of the mixer, whip the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Remove chocolate mixture from refrigerator, and fold in whipped cream (the paddle attachment works well for this).
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.