Today was a doozy of a day. Running errands around town, dropping kids off for art and p.e. classes, and spending two hours at the pediatrician’s office left us all feeling worn our and frazzled. What to make for dinner was absolutely last on my mind until 5:30 rolled around and I suddenly knew that I had to come up with something fast.
Then I remembered that I had a few cups of cooked and shredded chicken in the fridge and enchilada sauce in the cabinet and I knew that I could whip up these simple chicken enchiladas. Better yet, I remembered that they only take about 20 minutes to make, start to finish. Yay!
While the kids finished up their math and spelling assignments, I quickly put these together and stuck them in the oven. The house started to smell heavenly and the kids started asking what was for dinner. We all sat down to a warm, cheesy, dinner and found rest in a meal at the table with each other.
Please note our very fancy “side dish”: a can of refried beans with cheddar cheese melted on top. The kids think this is the most delicious side dish ever! Tee hee.
- 4 C shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cans (19 oz. each) red enchilada sauce
- 2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies (optional)
- 2 C soup cream, divided
- 1 T sugar
- 2 t ground cumin (or taco seasoning)
- 8 cups cooked, shredded chicken (grocery store rotisserie chicken works great)
- 24 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups cheese, 1 can enchilada sauce, all green chilies, 1 cup sour cream, sugar and cumin.
- Stir in cooked chicken.
- Lightly spray two 13" x 9" baking dishes with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place one tortilla on a clean work surface. Spread ⅓ cup filling along center of tortilla, gently roll, and place seam-side down in dish.
- Repeat the process until all ingredients have been used.
- Evenly divide the remaining can of enchilada sauce over enchiladas, dot with the remaining cup of sour cream, and sprinkle remaining 2 cups of cheese over that. Bake in heated oven 15 minutes or until the enchiladas are heated and bubbling.