We keep getting teased by spring here in Iowa. In the last few weeks, the kids and I have reveled in several sixty degree days by biking and walking and jumping on the trampoline. My food thoughts turn to grilling and salads. And then, just like that, the freezing temperatures and snow return. And we are once again hungry for soup. This week we tried this super healthy, super easy, super satisfying soup: Salsa Verde Chicken Chili. Can you tell I LOVE it?
This soup is so perfect for this time of year. It is warm and a little bit spicy, which seems just right on a chilly day. But it is also light, healthy, fresh, and filled with bright flavors, which seems to say, “Spring will be here SOON!”
I love so many things about this Salsa Verde Chicken Chili. I love that it is a broth based soup, which means it’s low in fat. I love the beans that add fiber and nutrition. And I love how EASY it is to make. Instead of chopping veggies, I just threw in a jar of salsa verde, which contains all the flavorful veggies this soup needs. (I used some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but to make this even easier, a rotisserie chicken could also be used.)
And then there are the toppings. Let’s talk about the awesome toppings. The avocado added creaminess and the cilantro added freshness. My kids added tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream. So many delicious options!
- This is a Trim Healthy Mama (E) meal (if you skip the avocado.) Click here to learn more about Trim Healthy Mama. Other popular Trim Healthy Mama recipes include our Chicken, Bacon, and Avocado Thin Crust Pizza, Blueberry Muffin in a Mug, and Salty and Sweet Strawberry Smoothie.
- I have recently found a terrific way to make shredded chicken. Just pop warm chicken into the bowl of a standing mixer that’s fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low and voila! You’ve got shredded chicken.
- 6 C chicken stock or broth
- 2 C shredded chicken (can use rotisserie)
- 2 (15oz) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 C salsa verde
- 2 t ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- toppings: diced avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded pepper jack cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, diced jalapeno
- Add chicken stock, shredded chicken, beans, salsa verde, cumin, and salt and pepper to a medium soup pot, and stir to combine.
- Heat over high heat until boiling, then cover and reduce to a simmer on low for about 5 minutes. 3. Serve warm with the toppings of your choice.