***Today, a guest post from Olivia (Annie’s 10 year old daughter)***
Hi, I’m Olivia. (That’s me on the left). I’m here to tell you a little about American Girl Molly’s Quick Coffee Cake. Molly is the name of my sister’s American girl doll, and it is also the name of my awesome aunt!
It all started when my sister, Addison, found a Molly cookbook at the library and she knew that she wanted to check it out. On the way home, she was browsing thorough the pages, and the Quick Coffee Cake caught her eye. Coffee cake is a family favorite so she knew that she had hit the jackpot, and she and I started as soon as we could. We had a lot of fun making this together, and we were surprised at how easy it was.
When we pulled it out of the oven, our family enjoyed a snack of delicious coffee cake. Everyone decided that it was a favorite! They loved the brown sugar and cinnamon flavors. We would recommend that you try it too because it was really easy to make and super delicious. Enjoy your quick coffee cake!
- 1½ C flour
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 3 T shortening
- ⅓ C sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 t butter, melted
- ½ C brown sugar
- 1 t cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Measure 3 T of shortening into a large mixing bowl. Mix in an electric mixer until it is creamy.
- Slowly add the sugar to the shortening and beat until fluffy. Turn off the mixer. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Crack the egg into the large mixing bowl. Add the milk. Beat well with the electric mixer, and then turn off the mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients to the large mixing bowl. Stir them with the wooden spoon just enough to get them completely wet. Pour the mixture into the greased baking pan.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir into the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the batter in the baking pan.
- Bake the coffee cake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes before cutting to serve.