Back in the good old days of neon clothes, hair scrunches and New Kids on the Block, I would spend long afternoons jumping on my friend’s trampoline jamming out to her pocket rocker. (remember those?) Following these jumping sessions, we would bop into her mom’s kitchen for these delicious homemade pizza rolls. I am certain she always had them on hand.
This friend of mine also went to the same college as me and these were often a treat she would make for us while hanging out. They are quite delicious and bring back many, many memories.
My sweet, NKOB loving friend has willingly shared her recipe with me….however, this is how it goes “Just use frozen bread dough, some cheese and pepperoni, they are easy.” Now, she either thinks I am a genius (maybe) or is quite possibly holding out on me (probable). I am guessing she is holding out on me, probably due to the fact we always had arguments over who was the bigger Donnie Wahlberg fan. 🙂 Therefore, I have come to the conclusion she is withholding the pizza roll goodness. Bad news for my friend however, I have mastered the pizza roll, (mastered may be an exaggeration) and it just may be better than hers. (ha)
Whether you still wear scrunches or secretly listen to New Kids on the block is irrelevant, however, I do believe you will enjoy these pizza rolls.
I made these just the other day and the response from my children was perfect:
My two year old said: “Mmmm, I can’t believe it, pizza cupcakes!”
My four year old said: “Mom, these are so good, I am just going to have to eat them while we pray.”
Now, my one year old, he turned his nose up to the pizza rolls. However, do not let him discourage you from trying this recipe, his diet consists of boxed Macaroni and cheese and applesauce from a pouch. Yes, boxed and pouch only. (sigh)
Check out the recipe below!
- (1) 1 lb loaf of frozen bread dough
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ⅜ cup of pizza sauce
- Sprinkling of Italian seasonings of choice, optional
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated chedder cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 3 oz pepperoni, chopped
- Parmesan cheese and extra marinara sauce for serving.
- Let bread dough thaw until pliable
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out bread loaf into a 9x13" size crust (or as close as you can get)
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle on desired seasoning
- Top with pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni
- Carefully roll dough rectangle into a tight log, Pinch along edge to seal
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes
- Remove from fridge and slice into 12 pieces
- Place into greased muffin tins and let rise until doubled in size
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven allow to cool a few minutes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with a dish of marinara sauce for dipping.