Unlike the other women in my family, I am not a gardener. I’ve attempted a little gardening in the past with no success. My mom encouragingly says, “Right now you’re growing children; later you’ll be interested in growing plants.” Well have to wait and see, I guess… 🙂
However, each summer I do plant a few tomato plants in a super-sunny-spot on the south side of our house. The previous owner of our home told me that I MUST plant tomatoes there, and I obeyed! And each year, despite my negligence, we miraculously have a very healthy crop of tomatoes.
I also have a very generous neighbor (hi, Theresia!) who for years has always shared her fresh basil with me. This year, Addison wanted to grow our own basil, and so she planted a few seeds in a pot on the deck and diligently has watered and cared for these precious herbs. I think she is taking after grandma in the gardening department!
All this to say, right now we have delicious home grown tomatoes and basil, and we have really been enjoying this mouthwatering pasta dish.
Ok… enough about gardening… on to this simply DELICIOUS RECIPE!!
Pesto Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil is creamy and comforting and SO delicious. The fresh tomatoes and basil bring perfect Iowa summer flavors right to our table.
- ½ C heavy cream
- 2 T olive oil
- ½ C prepared pesto (of course you can make homemade if you feel like it!)
- ¾ C grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 12 ounces pasta, cooked to al dente (I use penne or fettuccine)
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
- 4-6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (reserve about a tablespoon for garnish)
- 2 C cooked chicken, cubed
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the heavy cream and olive oil.
- Stir in the pesto, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add in the drained pasta, tomatoes, fresh basil, leaves, and chicken.
- Garnish the top with remaining basil leaves.
Please try this recipe soon! I’m not sure your summer will be complete without it! If you’re not lucky enough to have your own fresh tomatoes and basil, plan a visit to your local farmers market.
Another tomato and basil recipe that we are loving right now are these Caprese Salad Skewers. They’re also divine for summer!