You know that delicious rice that is served on the warm plates at your favorite Mexican restaurant? We were craving it the other night at our house but didn’t want to go out for supper. So we did a little research, and it turns out that it is so, so easy to make and takes just like restaurant version.
Two key things to get the flavor just right: toast the rice in a large skillet at the beginning of the recipe, and then simmer slowly for 20-30 minutes.
The flavors of tomato, cilantro, and cumin are some of my absolute favorites, and really say Mexican! This comforting, delicious dish has really added to our Taco Tuesdays. Do you do Taco Tuesday at your house? In reality, it’s actually Mexican Tuesday, as we rotate tacos, chicken enchiladas, beef enchiladas, burritos, pork chalupa, and beef and bean tostadas. This rice dish goes great will all! (Can you tell we love Mexican around here or what?!) 🙂
So, gives this rice a try. I think you’ll love it!
- 2 C instant rice
- ⅓ C oil
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 t salt
- 1 t minced garlic
- 4 C water
- 1 t chicken bouillon
- ¼ t cumin
- ¼ t garlic powder
- Heat oil in large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add rice and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken bouillon to the 4 cups of water and microwave for 3 minutes.
- When the rice is golden brown, add the water/bouillon, tomato sauce, salt, garlic, cumin, and garlic powder to the pan.
- Stir and cover the pan. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Sprinkle finely chopped cilantro on top just before serving.