Duck Dynasty’s “Miss Kay” has nothing over my sister (in-law) for her mighty good cooking. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy Miss Kay’s Duck Commander Kitchen cookbook, from deep in Louisiana country. Granted…..I’m not about to try her gritty “Squirrel with Soup Gravy” recipe, but I have enjoyed an assortment of dishes from this lovely book I was given last year for my birthday.
Our Ms. Kay, my brother Craig’s wife, is originally from this area, and now hails from the eastern banks of Iowa, right along the Mississippi. She, too, cooks often for her large family and has accumulated many time-tested winners for recipes, in which she has shared many with me. I thought I’d share one with you today. You’ll love it and it will be a keeper for you, too, I’m sure. So….if you have some ripe bananas, I’m certain you’ll have the rest of the ingredients on hand.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1½ C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 mashed bananas
- ¾ C sour cream or ¾ C milk, plus 2 T. lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1¾ C flour
- Dash salt
- 1 t soda
- ½ nuts ( I prefer black walnuts)
- Mix wet ingredients; add dry ingredients and stir. Pour into greased 17x13 jelly roll pan at bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- ⅔ stick butter, melted
- 2-3 C powdered sugar
- 4 T milk
- Stir together and frost when bars have cooled a little.
Note: These moist nuggets go in a hurry!
And did I mention……finger-lickin’ good? Um huh, they are! (Personally, I cannot leave these bars alone!)
Enjoy, dear friends and family, and, Ohhh, if you see Ms. Kay, thank her for sharing her recipe with me!