Last year, my husband and I visited Dallas, Texas, and it was there that our lives were changed for the better because we encountered this delicious breakfast food: MIGAS (mee-gahs). Have you ever eaten or heard of migas before?
We were already lovers of scrambled eggs and of Mexican flavors, but had never paired the two. When we tasted the migas, we knew that we had been missing out! Since that time, we have been making this dish at home (usually for Sunday brunch and sometimes for breakfast.)
Migas start with these delicious, fresh ingredients: (You can’t go wrong when you start with these, right?)
Scrambled eggs are the mainstay ingredient, but the star of the show are the corn tostadas. I love these that I buy at Aldi.
and these delicious Mexican cheeses. (If your grocery store doesn’t carry these, you could use Monterrey Jack and Cheddar).
This dish is just so wonderful- full of fresh flavor, comforting and warm, and really interesting with the addition of the tostadas. I hope you can make it soon! You’ll love it!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 10 eggs
- ¼ C milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 corn tostadas, cut in small squares
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 C grated cheese (I use queso cheese and Mexican Cotija, cheddar &Monterrey Jack would also be great)
- Optional Garnishes:
- ¼ C cilantro, chopped
- ¼ C sour cream
- ¼ C guacamole
- hot sauce
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the onion and bell peppers in the olive oil just until they develop a little color.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tostada squares and the jalapenos. Stir the mixture and reduce the heat to medium.
- Pour in the egg mixture.
- With a spatula, very gently fold the mixture together, allowing the eggs to cook slowly. Do not stir the mixture; just turn it lightly.
- When the eggs are cooked, add the cheese and cilantro (if using).
- Garnish with your favorite ingredients. We love sour cream at our house.
I love to eat migas with a little guacamole on the side. I think Molly’s guacamole recipe is the best.