A little over 13 years ago, my husband and I honeymooned in Aruba. It was there that our love for mango began. We ate the fresh, luscious fruit on the beach and ever since, eating mangoes has taken us back (very briefly) to that very fun time of our lives. Now when we eat it, we say things like, “Remember how clear the ocean water was?” and “Remember the geckos?” and “Remember the Italians we saw each day who apparently thought swimsuits were optional?” 🙂
We usually just eat fresh mangoes or add frozen chunks to our smoothies, but recently, on a warm spring evening, I whipped up a batch of this mango BBQ sauce to add to some grilled pork chops. It turned out so delicious, and I think it gave our supper a bit of a tropical flair and took us back to those warm Aruba thoughts. Best of all, it came together really quickly and was super easy to make.
Sweet + tangy + a little bit spicy = perfect BBQ sauce.
Since this recipe makes a pint, we used it in the following week on grilled chicken as well. Equally delicious!
ps- If mangoes aren’t available at your grocery story, try peaches. I think it would also be really delicious.
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 T. of olive oil
- 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup plus 2 T. of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes (increase or decrease according to your spice preference)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet at medium high heat for one minute.
- Add in the red onion, garlic cloves, and mango. Saute until mango is slightly browned and onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes , brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, chili flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- (Carefully!)Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy on grilled chops, chicken, or burgers.
Now, share with me, what’s one food you eat when you want to travel back in your memories?