This recipe is simple and delicious – and I would say you could call it ‘healthy’, too. I often do not make as many chicken dishes as I should. Beef and seafood are top on my list, while chicken is down there yet a little way…This recipe is great for a quick and easy meal. The smell of garlic and lemons will infiltrate the house – believe me you will smell it, too!
This recipe originates from Ina Garten, How Easy Is That? I love her recipes and the simplicity of them. If you’re wondering what to do with those chicken breasts, all you need are garlic, lemons, white wine vinegar, olive oil, and seasonings! Fresh thyme infuses the chicken, but dried thyme works, too. Ina’s recipe calls for chicken breasts with skins on, which is probably ultra delicious. I typically make this without skins, just because they are hard to find! I almost always pair this recipe with a tasty rice (or bread), like cous cous that can soak up the leftover juices, and a fresh vegetable – such as asparagus or zucchini. And, voila! Dinner is ready.
- 4 chicken breasts , skins on (if possible)
- ¼ c. olive oil
- ⅓ c. white wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 T. grated lemon zest
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1½ t. fresh thyme or dried thyme
- 1½ t. dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Use a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the garlic, and cook for just 1 minute but don’t allow the garlic to turn brown. Turn off the heat, add the white wine vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt and pour into dish.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them skin side up over the sauce. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle them liberally with salt and pepper. Cut the lemon in 8 wedges and tuck it among the pieces of chicken.
- Bake for 40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done and the skin is lightly browned. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Serve hot with the pan juices.