We have had a stretch of cloudy and rainy weather here in Iowa. April showers bring May flowers, right? ? With all the gloomy weather we decided to cheer things up a bit around here. What better way than with cake! A bright, sunny, yellow lemon cake!
This cake recipe comes from my Mom. She is an excellent cake baker. It’s light, moist and refreshing. The lemon cake blends perfectly with the cream cheese icing. Oh, and did I tell you it’s super easy to make? Like…starts with a cake mix! Wohoo! It’s ok, you can cheer too. ? This cake is great anytime but the light citrus flavor reminds me of spring and summer. A perfect cake for your Easter dinner!
This is hands down my favorite lemon cake recipe. My husband whom is not a lemon cake fan even enjoys this one. I believe on his third piece his words were “wow, I didn’t even think I liked lemon cake. But I like this one!” Ha! Be sure to give it a try for your next picnic or Sunday dinner!
- (1) 10.25 oz lemon cake mix
- (1) 3.4 oz omg instant lemon pudding
- 1¼ cup water
- ½ cup oil
- 4 eggs
- (1) 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c butter, softened
- 2 tsp pure lemon extract
- 3½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbs milk
- Zest of 2 lemons (optional)
- 3-4 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Mix all cake ingredients together and mix well. Pour into greased and floured bundt cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for approx 50 minutes
- Cool cake in pan - loosen at sides with knife and invert into wire rack to cool completely and then frost
- Icing directions:
- Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon extract until light and fluffy.
- Add in yellow food coloring if using and mix well.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at time mixing well after each addition.
- Add in milk and mix well. Fold in lemon zest if using.
- Frost cake and store in airtight container in fridge until ready to serve
Find all of our Easter Favorites here: