Pizza night is always a favorite at our house! Typically, we have pizza night on Friday night. It’s a great way to celebrate the weekend, and everyone enjoys getting involved with the cooking, too! I am always looking for a new ingredient to try or a new and different way to enjoy it.
Then, I recently was introduced to Stromboli, which is of Italian origin – anything pizza related and it derives from Italy, right? Stromboli is much like a calzone (which is folded in half). A Stromboli; however, is actually rolled. So think of it like making cinnamon rolls.
I used the bread bucket in my fridge for my homemade bread dough. Store bought bread dough also works great, too.
I rolled out the bread dough thinly about 1/8″ thick. Then we added a think layer of pizza sauce. Then Italian sausage. Then mozzarella cheese. Then pepperoni. You can get as creative as you like with your favorite toppings. Be careful not to overload or it may get tricky to roll up. Then I folded the short edges in and carefully rolled away. Make sure to seal and pinch the edge together when finished. Lastly, I brushed with egg wash. Then I sprinkled with Italian seasonings and cheese. Then I made several slits for air to seep out.
After about 20 minutes, the Stromboli was ready. It was fun to try something new, and my husband especially enjoyed the new rolled version of pizza. Serve with marinara sauce and “Buon-Appetito!”
- 1 ball or roll of pizza dough (I used homemade, but store bought works well, too)
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (3 oz) pkg. sliced pepperoni
- 2 c. pizza sauce
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ t. Italian seasoning
- Cook Italian sausage in a medium skillet until browned. Drain.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on a large baking pan and lightly flour. Roll dough out to form a large rectangle.
- Brush a thin layer of pizza sauce on dough. Layer on crumbled sausage then mozzarella cheese.
- Place pepperoni slices on top of cheese then sprinkle with ¾c. Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings.
- Gently roll in short sides of dough to form a seal around filling.
- Starting on long side of dough, carefully roll into one third of Stromboli. Using parchment, roll dough again until reaching opposite end. Pinch together and place seam side down.
- Mix egg with 1 T. of water. Brush egg mixture over Stromboli and sprinkle with remaining ¼ Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven and turn down to 375 degrees.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes
- Serve with warm pizza sauce.