We just recently returned home from a mini vacation to Mahoney State Park with my parents, my sisters and their families. We had a great time enjoying the outdoors and spending time together. Now that there is a herd of grandkids, vacation meals look a little differently than they use too. Instead of long dinners out at a restaurant, we opt for homemade meals in our cabins, where there is minimal prep and the kids can run free.
This year we set themes for the evening meals and each of us took an evening to “host”. I was in charge of the Italian night. I made lasagna and simple Italian meatballs before we left and froze them for a no prep main course. Threw some spaghetti and sauce on the stove that evening and coerced my oldest sister into making a salad. Boy, did she make a good one! Good enough to get the recipe and share with you! This salad as well the Sugared Almond and Strawberry Salad I posted about last week, have moved into the rankings with some of my favorites!
(Ignore the white paper plate….I had to make due with vacation service ware!)
- 2 Large romaine hearts, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup pitted black olives
- 8 pepperoncini
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- 1 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add salad ingredients to large bowl.
- Just before serving pour dressing over top of salad and toss well.
- Serve right away.
Want more delicious healthy salad and soup recipes? Check out our newest ebook, Healthy Salads and Soups, and get your copy for free by becoming an email subscriber.