We have been invited to participate in a $500 giveaway with a great company called HelloFresh! More on that below, but first this…
One of my favorite things in life is serving my family a warm, healthy, satisfying supper at the end of a busy day. This Italian Baked Chicken and Pasta dish is one of my favorite recipes to do just that. Looking at my recipe for this today made me realize that I have been making this wonderful dish for ten years now. It’s a keeper.
My family loves this dish because it’s loaded with flavorful chicken, cheese, and tomato sauce and topped with a crunch, cheesy topping. I love it because it’s ready start to finish in only 40 minutes with only 15 minutes prep time Because it is baked in the oven for a half hour, the chicken and pasta don’t have to be fully cooked before assembling. This makes the prep time really short! My kind of weeknight meal!
- 2 C pasta (I use rotini or penne)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1-2 C cubed chicken breast (1-inch cubes)
- ½ C diced onion (about ½ a small onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 C shredded mozzarella
- ¼ C chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (or dried parsley)
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t freshly ground black pepper
- ½ C bread crumbs
- ½ C grated Parmesan
- 2 T butter, plus more for buttering the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until just tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. (The pasta will finish cooking in the oven in a bit).
- Drain pasta into a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, put the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes. (The chicken will finish cooking in the oven in a bit).
- Add the onions and garlic, stirring to combine, and cook until the onions are soft and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
- Put the chicken mixture into the bowl with the cooked pasta.
- Add the canned tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place the mixture in a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs and the Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle over the top of the pasta mixture.
- Dot the top with small bits of butter.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
And speaking of healthy, satisfying weeknight meals for your family, have you heard of HelloFresh? HelloFresh delivers meal kits with pre-measured ingredients for healthy meals right to your door! HelloFresh takes the guesswork out of delicious healthy eating and gives you a break from the planning. Sounds too good to be true!
You could win $500 worth of delicious HelloFresh meals! Enter for your chance to win $500 worth of HelloFresh meal boxes and get pre-measured ingredients to healthy recipes delivered to your doorstep each week! So exciting! The winner will get to chose from lots of different meal options. The giveaway runs from March 14 to March 28th.