‘Tis the season for brunching. Spending late mornings in jammies, catching up with relatives in town, and lingering over the kitchen table with a second cup of coffee are all called for during this last week of December. Right?!?
A few mornings ago, my family and I made this delicious breakfast pizza and devoured it around 10:30 . Complete with eggs, bacon, potatoes, and cheese, It fit the brunch bill perfectly.
This recipe calls for pizza dough. You can use store bought or here is a great pizza dough recipe provided by Shelby.
Do you cook your bacon in the microwave like we do? Just line it up on a paper-towel lined plate and cook for about five minutes.
Hearty breakfast pizza: savory, cheesy, filling…. and well, brunchy.
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 C of salsa, plus more for serving
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for the baking sheet
- 2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 12 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- 8 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the oven rack in the lowest position and preheat to 475 degrees F.
- Fry the bacon in the microwave on paper-towel covered plate for 5 minutes. Chop into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the frozen hash browns and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until they just start turning golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Spread ½ cup salsa over the dough, then evenly distribute the mozzarella over the salsa. Sprinkle with the hash browns, bell peppers and bacon.
- Crack the eggs over the surface of the pizza.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the eggs are set but still slightly soft, about 15 minutes. Cut into large pieces and serve with the remaining salsa.