Whenever I make these chocolate chip bars, the kids ask, “Are we having company?” I chuckle at their question, because it’s true: I make these bars a lot when we have company. They are truly delicious and SO easy to make. Instead of taking an hour of my time to scoop out individual cookies, I quickly mix these together and they are done baking in only about 12 minutes. Dozens of bars ready in minutes! A perfect busy day recipe.
Something that I love about this recipe is that they are made with 100% brown sugar (instead of equal parts white and brown like some other chocolate chip cookies). I am a brown sugar kind of girl, and I love the warm flavor that it gives to these cookie bars.
So the next time you have friends over, treat them and yourself with these delicious, easy bars. For an extra special dessert, serve them warm with vanilla ice cream on top. YUM!
Or make them for your family and serve them with an ice cold cup of milk. A perfect afternoon snack.
- 1 c butter (at room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 C brown sugar
- 3 ¾ C flour
- 1 ½ t salt
- 1 ½ t soda
- 1½ C chocolate chips
- ⅓ bag coconut (optional- I leave this out when making for my kids)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 15 x 1 inch pan (rectangular cake pan) with cooking spray.
- Cream together butter, eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, soda and stir until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and coconut (if using).
- Spread evenly in pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Need some other cookies ideas? Here are our favorite cookie recipes.