We wish you a Happy New Year ahead!
“You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with goodness.”
This is one of my favorite egg casseroles. It is just the right amount of vegetables (making for some pretty color pops of red and green) – a combination of breakfast sausage and bacon, a heap of cheese, and hash browns on the bottom. We are getting in the habit of always having this casserole around Christmas and New Year’s! I hope you will add this hearty casserole to your menu for this year, too. Enjoy!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 12 oz. frozen hash brown potatoes, shredded
- 2 c. shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 lb. bulk sausage, browned and drained
- ½ lb. bacon cooked and crumbled
- ½ medium green sweet pepper, chopped
- ½ medium red sweet pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 small can mushroom stems and pieces, drained (optional)
- 1 c. biscuit mix
- 3 c. 2% milk
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Spray with nonstick cooking spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Place potatoes in prepared dish. Set aside 1 cup of the cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup cheese, cooked sausage and bacon, sweet peppers, onions, mushrooms, biscuit mix, milk, salt, pepper, and eggs. Pour over potatoes in baking dish; spread evenly. Sprinkle reserved 1 cup cheese. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours. It can also be frozen; just increase the cooking time.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 35 minutes, until light golden brown around the edges. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.