Green Tomato Pickles! These are a family favorite.
My husband grew up enjoying these green tomato pickles, and now I have grown to love them too. They are kind of a quirky thing, but they are quite easy to can and are even better than pickles if you’re going for something salty and crunchy.
Our four year old loves them too!
- For each quart:
- ⅛ t. alum
- 2 or 3 black peppercorns
- ⅛ t. crushed red pepper
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 t. dill seed
- whole 3" cukes or small green tomatoes
- This amount will can 9 qt.:
- 9 c. water
- 3 c. vinegar
- ½ c. salt.
- Pack pickles (tomatoes) in jars. Add spices. Heat water, vinegar and salt, as much as needed in those proportions.
- Bring to boil and pour over pickles and spices. Seal.
- I usually wait a month before eating them. If they don't seal, just refrigerate.