One of our family favorites is Grandma Betty’s potato salad. It is refreshing, delicious, and best of all, it’s made with such simple ingredients.
We serve it all summer long at family gatherings and also into the fall when we take meals to the men who are working hard in the fields.
A special memory we all have of Grandma Betty is that she would make this salad two ways- one bowl with onions and one bowl without- for all family meals. That way everyone would have some just they way they liked it! What a grandma! 🙂
- 8-10 white potatoes - peeled, halved or quartered (depending on size).
- 8-10 hard boiled eggs. Cool completely in cold water.
- ½ - ⅔ of medium sized onion - diced.
- 1 ½ - 2 C of real mayonnaise
- 1t dry mustard
- 1t sugar
- pinch of black pepper
- Boil potatoes in water (add a pinch of salt) for 20 minutes.
- Rinse, drain, and cool. Boil eggs.
- Cool completely in cold water.
- Use a large bowl to mix together ingredients.
- Cut potatoes in fairly small pieces.
- Then add the chopped pieces of hard boiled egg. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and pepper.
- Mix together.
- There should be enough mayonnaise to hold it all together.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You can read about how we recently served this as part of our Field Tailgating Party.