Starting some time in October and continuing through the holiday season, I recall my Mom having a batch of Carmel Chex Mix on hand to snack on. This yummy recipe triggers memories of football tailgates and hanging out snacking at holiday gatherings. Amazing, how a specific recipe can evoke such feelings and fond memories!
It is such an easy recipe to make (10 minutes and a microwave) and it also freezes well. Perfect for the busy months ahead. Mix up a few batches (freeze one for later) and enjoy this tasty snack for the months to come!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick margarine
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 10 cups mixed chex cereal and nuts (rice and corn chex only to be gluten free)
- Combine sugar, butter, syrup and salt in glass microwavable bowl
- Bring to a boil on full power, stirring occasionally (apprx 2 minutes)
- Boil for additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently
- Remove from microwave - add baking soda and mix will (Mixture will foam)
- Dump chex cereal nuts (if desired) in brown paper bag and pour foamy mixture over.
- Stir to coat
- Put sack and contents in the microwave and cook on full power for 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds
- Pour onto cookies sheet in single layer to cool - as it cools it becomes crisp
- Break apart and store in airtight container