Seafood. It’s a real treat to most Mid-westerners. One of the reasons is price (at the grocery store or restaurant), so we often move on and select another form of protein. Another reason is time, if you’re fishing for it. It really becomes precious then! Most farmers have plenty of beef, pork or lamb in their freezers….whatever they raise, but not so much on the seafood, unless they are avid fishermen, like my grandpas used to be. Oh, the memories! My mom used to eat fish for breakfast a lot of the time!! Eek!
Canned seafood is convenient, fairly reasonable in price, and has something called fish oil which we all need for our health. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids work by lowering the body’s production of triglycerides. High levels of triglycerides can lead to coronary artery disease, heart disease, and stroke.
And guess who has to watch her triglyceride levels? Umhummm. So, I’m always looking for a good deal on salmon, tuna and other sea foods which are high in omega 3 fatty acids. Guess what? Crab meat fits right into this category!
Following is a “FANCY” little appetizer my mom used to make for those “spaaacial” occasions. I love it!
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 T milk
- ½ t horseradish
- ¼ t salt
- ⅓ C sliced almonds
- 2 T pimento or minced red and green pepper (mainly for color)
- 7½ oz can of flaked crab meat, drained.
- Garnish: celery leaves, cilantro, chopped peppers.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all but the meat. Fold in crab meat. Spoon onto a pie plate. Sprinkle sliced almonds on top. Bake for 15 min.
- Serve with your favorite cracker. I love to use Simply Naked pita chips. They are really tasty and very firm so they don't break when dipping.
- Tip: Reduce calories by using ⅓ cal cream cheese.
I call this a “pantry dish” as all ingredients can be purchased way ahead of time and always ready when you’re needing a quick dip. The cream cheese can be frozen.
Tip: You might want to triple the recipe if you’re having a crowd, as it’s gone in minutes! Maybe that’s what I should name this recipe! 🙂