Beautiful snow is coming down, the high today is ten degrees, and we just don’t feel like braving the cold. So we are home all day, and the kids need to stay busy in good, creative ways.
The girls and I whipped up our favorite play dough, Fruity Play Dough. We actually triple the recipe, because that’s what you do when you have five kids. 🙂
I got out some of my ordinary kitchen supplies, and yes, that’s a walkie-talkie in the picture… you never know when you’re gonna need one of those.
And immediately the kids put on their aprons and started imagining that they were bakers and that they had lots of important orders to fill. Cute! I love to see those imaginations working hard. The kids had so much fun, and they stayed busy for a long time.
Fruity Play Dough calls for Kool-Aid, which is a unusual ingredient in play dough, but it’s wonderful because it makes the dough smell so delicious, fruity, and kind-of summery- a much needed smell on a winter day like today.
- 1 C plus 1 T flour
- 1 package Kool-Aid (any flavor)
- 1 T vegetable oil
- ¼ C salt
- ⅔-3/4 C boiling water (I microwave the water for 2 minutes)
- Mix all dry ingredients in bowl and add oil.
- Pour boiling water into flour mixture and mix thoroughly.
- After it has cooled a little, knead with your hands until smooth.
- Store in an air tight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.