Big white pieces of snow are beginning to fall as I write this post…the anticipation of Christmas is here! It is the most wonderful time of year. With each new day, the countdown continues as we get closer and closer to this beloved holiday.
I found this really fun advent calendar to do with kids. It provides sweet and selfless ideas to help your children experience Christmas joy by spreading holiday cheer.
There is plenty of preparation to make this special day – shopping for the best presents (or deals), baking favorite cookies, wearing the right outfit, sending out Christmas cards, wrapping presents, putting up the tree and decorations, spending time with friends and family…
As much as I enjoy all of these, I consciously have to redirect my thoughts to focus on the real meaning for the season. Along the way, I try to remind myself to stop and pause amidst the busyness. Read through the birth of our Savior in Luke 2:1-20. Let us not for get the precious gift we have in Christ Jesus alone. I recently found these printables – they can easily be printed off and put in a picture frame. I have several around our home, and they are a simple and lovely reminder.
May the Lord receive all the glory – today and always.
“Glory to God in the highest heaven and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” Luke 2:14
May we each be filled with his unfailing love.
“In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 2 red apples, chopped
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 8 oz. fresh cranberries
- 1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges
- 2 t. lemon juice
- 1 c. mini marshmallows
- 1 c. sugar
- For whipped cream:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- ¼ c. chopped pecans for garnish
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water. Add cranberries and cook on medium high, until you hear the cranberries pop. Cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Drain most of the juice from the cranberries. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, mix together apples and oranges. Add a bit of lemon juice to keep from browning.
- Just before ready to serve, add bananas, and cranberries. Dollop with a heap of whipped cream and pecans.