This French Toast Bake has been added to our Christmas brunch over the last few years. Grandma Betty introduced it to us. The caramelized topping and pecans take this French Toast over the top.
We no longer have it only at brunch, but occasionally for supper as well. This recipe can be made the night before – making the next day quite simple. Add strawberries and whipped cream for that extra bit of indulgence.
- 2 T corn syrup
- 5 T butter
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- ¼ to 1 c. chopped pecans
- 1 loaf French break, cut in 1-inch slices
- 5 eggs
- 1½ c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ pint strawberries
- whipped cream
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan combine the corn syrup, butter, and brown sugar. Cook until bubbly. Pour syrup mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle chopped pecans. Layer bread slices.
- In a mixing bowl beat eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove from refrigerator. Bake about 35 minutes. Invert baking dish onto platter. Serve with strawberries and whipped cream.
This has become a part of our annual Christmas Brunch meal. Check it out here: