My (wonderful,spunky, fun) Grandma Betty introduced this Egg Casserole into the family many years ago, and it has become a favorite that we eat every year for our Christmas brunch. This is a helpful recipe, because it can be assembled the night before and left in the refrigerator. On Christmas morning, all I have to do is pop this into the oven. The house smells fantastic while this is baking, and we are unwrapping gifts and listening to our favorite Christmas songs.
I think that the red and green bell peppers add a nice, Christmas-y touch!
Cheese-y, hearty, savory, and with a hint of spice, egg casserole is a perfect recipe to make Christmas morning really special.
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- ½ lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb sausage or bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ C onion, chopped
- ½ green and/or red pepper, chopped
- 8 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 C milk
- ½ t salt
- Layer first ingredients in order in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Beat eggs in large bowl.
- Add milk, and salt.
- Pour over other ingredients in pan.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake one hour at 350 degrees.
We eat this with these cheesy hashbrowns. Get the recipe here.