Fall has been so wonderful this year! The colors are absolutely divine here in Iowa right now, and we’ve been having my favorite combination for weather- cool mornings and evenings, with warm and sunny afternoons. Soup is the perfect evening meal for this season. It’s especially wonderful to prepare early in the day and have simmering away on the stove while the kids and I do schoolwork, play outside, and just enjoy being with each other.
We love having French bread, cornbread, or biscuits to go along with our soups. Recently, I’ve been making these Easy Cheesy Biscuits. They’re a little crispy on top, soft in the middle, and of course, cheesy. Yummm.
I love that I can add whatever type of cheese that goes along with the soup- spicy for Mexican soup nights and cheddar for potato soups and chowders. They are super simple, comforting, and just plain delicious! I hope you can give them a try soon!
- For the Biscuits:
- 2 C flour
- 3 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- ¼ C shortening, butter, or coconut oil
- 1 C milk
- ½ C shredded cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, and pepper jack are our favorites)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the shortening, and stir in the milk.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.