So, I need to admit something…Doritos (along with Mayonnaise as I have mentioned in previous posts) are a weakness of mine. A real weakness- they have been as long as I can remember. My parents tell stories of finding empty Doritos bags under my bed when I was young. It’s terrible. 🙂 It’s only natural that my children love them as well. If you were to drop by my house at any given time, it’s guaranteed that you would be able to find a bag of Doritos in my pantry. I know you are laughing, I am too…but it’s true. The wellness degree in me is shaking its head, but hey, we all have our weaknesses and mine are chips. 🙂
So, naturally growing up my mom would try to find ways to incorporate Doritos into our meals so I would eat what was on the table. Yes, many times I would only eat Doritos for a meal. I got away with it often times as I was the youngest daughter (my parents were worn out), I was a stubborn child and I was also about as big around as a toothpick. My parents were just trying to get me to grow, even if it was through Doritos and mayonnaise sandwiches. lol.
Anyway, back to the recipe. This was something that my mom would make that I would actually eat growing up and is still something I enjoy today. We have this frequently at our house in the summer time. It’s easy to throw together and can be used as a side dish, or in our house, frequently as the main dish. I often times throw in a can of beans for some extra protein and fiber. Give this easy and delicious recipe a try today.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning or 1 batch of our homemade taco seasoning found on our site
- 1 large head of lettuce (ice berg or I prefer leaf green lettuce)
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 can red kidney beans or black beans, rinsed and drained (Optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 - 2 cups Nacho Cheese Doritios broken up
- 1 cup Western dressing (French or Catalina works too)
- Brown ground beef in skillet over medium heat, drain grease and add in taco seasoning until well coated. Set aside to cool.
- In a large serving bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, optional beans, beef.
- Right before serving add Doritos and dressing and toss to coat